[bksvol-discuss] Re: Things I Want My Daughter's to Know

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:41:47 -0700

Hi Bud,

        There is no equivalent punctuation mark for the long dash that I
know of, and for the purposes of bookshare, I think that using anything
other than the em dash or the double hyphens as we used to have to do in the
days of typewriters would be changing the book, which we're not allowed to
do. I wouldn't want to make that big a change to any author's book.

I think Jackie had it right.  I think that the speech synthesizer that you
are using will maike the difference in what is spoken, as well as the amount
of punctuation that you choose to have spoken.  For example, I use in K1000
E.T.I. eloquence with some punctuation spoken.  I never hear the long dashes
identified, just the pause in the language that they are designed to denote.
So, I think that if you want not to hear them spoken as "long dash" you need
to change the amount of punctuation that you hear spoken as well as perhaps
the speech engine you are using.

Mayrie