[bksvol-discuss] The shape of a brace (also called a curly brace or a curly bracket)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 19:26:14 -0600

OK, I did some thinking on this and dragged my husband into it, and we may have come up with something that helps to understand the shape of a brace. A brace, by the way, to make it even more confusing, is sometimes called a curly brace and even sometimes called a curly bracket. Let me know if this description helps! smile.

Have two people stand in front of you, back to back, so that the person on the left is facing towards your left, and the person to your right is facing towards the right. That means that the person on the left has their left hand towards you, and the person on the right has their right hand towards you.

My husband volunteered for this, by the way, and he said to describe him as bald as an egg, but with about 40 more pounds on him (he's a thin wiry dude) so that his chin down to his neck is nicely rounded. So: Clone him, and have him and his clone standing as described above.

He's facing to your left, and his clone is facing to your right, they are standing back to back.

Take the index finger of your left hand, and trace over the profile of his face, starting from about the middle of the top of his head, then down over his forehead and between his eyes, over his nose, back down over his mouth, and over his chin down to the middle of the bottom of his jaw, halfway to his neck. That's pretty much the shape of a left curly brace. It's sort of a top-to-bottom elongated half oval with a nose jutting out to one side in the center of the profile. For a left brace, it's the left half of the elongated oval and the nose juts to the left. For a right brace, it's the right half of the elongated oval and the nose juts to the right.

To get the shape of a right brace, take the index finger of your right hand, and race over the profile of his clone's face, again starting from about the middle of the top of the clone's head, then down over the clone's forehead and between his eyes, over his nose, back down over his mouth, and over his chin down under his jaw to the middle of the bottom of his jaw, halfway to his neck. That's the shape of a right brace.

How's that, Misha? grin.

Judy s.