[bksvol-discuss] Re: The hold discussion

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:30:41 -0600

Valerie,
I certainly think you have every right to have holds put on books that you spent your money on to proof. You do a fabulous job. And I certainly appreciate all the work you put in to your proofs. Some of us don't have a good library system to borrow books from, so buying them is our only option. Believe me, there were over 400 books on the checkout list the other day, and at a guess, fewer than 20% of them had holds. That means that there are well over 300 books to choose from. I found plenty I'd be willing to proof, though I only took one, as I'm also editing some books I've scanned.

Melissa Smith

On 3/1/2010 12:21 PM, Valerie Maples wrote:
Robert;

I was replying to Tracy who said she had poached books in the past.  Again,
Carrie said she would retain holds on agreement of the scanner and proofreader.
 In my case, sometimes getting my books shipped back to me can take a while for
me to have the text to proof from.

I guess I will just quit lending my eyes and only do "my" books that I have
bought or requested if people are going to be so nasty about respecting holds or
understanding why some of us want to volunteer instead of free reading.  I will quit
buying books on my series I am supplying if there is going to be so much dissension on
whether I can proof books I spent our limited funds on to add to the collection.

Y'all sure do know how to ruin a good thing!

Valerie

On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:53 AM, robert tweedy wrote:

Valerie remember if a person's name is on a book it's theirs. If it is two
weeks, then that is what it should be or what ever the staff decide.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Valerie Maples"<vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>