[bksvol-discuss] The Kushiel's Legend Series

  • From: "Donna Smith" <donnafsmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 03:31:31 -0400

Hi all.

I have recently discovered that scanning this series using the hard-cover
versions gives a much cleaner scan than do the paperbacks.  My library has
the whole series in hard-cover, and I'm willing to take on the task of
scanning all of them, though it's a popular series and so there will be a
delay getting it all done.  Here's the status and I'd appreciate any
feedback or guidance about how to proceed.

Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen and Kushiel's Avitar are all currently in
the BookShare collection.  I've read them all and know that while they are
readable, they could use some improvement.

I've currently scanned and cleaned up Kushiel's Chosen hard-cover version
and it's ready to be submitted and is a very clean scan.

I'm waiting on Kushiel's Dart (the first in the series) from my library.

I've also recently scanned and submitted Kushiel's Scion and it's on the
download page.  However, I've also been reading for pleasure my scan of that
book, and it has issues.  <smile>  While it's very readable with no strings
of unintelligible text, it does have a lot of hyphens for some reason that
don't need to be there, and it has a significant amount of the usual scan
errors such as "mis" for "this" and "n6" for "no," etc.  I'm pretty sure
this could be improved by rescanning it from the hard-cover version, and I'm
willing to do that.  Is it possible to get it off the download page before
someone does a lot of work on it?  Can someone at BookShare adjust my
credits so that I don't get double credits for submitting the same book
twice?  Should we go ahead and put in this very readable version so that
folks can read it while I work on a better scan which may take a while?

The fifth book in the series, Kushiel's Justice, has just been released and
I've placed a hold on it at my library and will scan it as soon as it
becomes available.

Finally, when replacing a book already in the collection, am I suppose to
put BSO in front of the title?  And should I just wait till I can submit the
first one before bothering to submit any of them?  I know someone on the
list expressed an interest in validating them, but wanted to start at the
beginning of the series.  These are huge books, (700-900 pages) and so this
whole process will take a while.

Thanks for those of you who have made it this far and who may have some
feedback.

Peace and Hope,

Donna