[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Idea Behind Clubs

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:48:08 -0400

Hi, Jim. So far I'm seeing a casual trend. Our book clubs are primarily for talking about books and making friends. However, as people get to talking about good authors, we realize that one of these authors isn't represented in the Bookshare collection or that a series has some books missing. That often leads to someone saying, "I could scan that. I have that book." Or "I can get that at my library this week." And someone else chimes in to say, "I'd love to read that! I'll validate it for you if you can scan it." A couple of weeks later, Booksharians are treated to a newly-scanned book, and 2 club members have begun to develop a friendly working relationship. So while the focus isn't about volunteering, it is a sort of biproduct. Hmm. That sounds so analytical to me as I read this. Our clubs are anything but boring and dry. They're fun, and it's exciting to get to talk about a book I'm reading with someone else. This was a kind of conversation I was shut out of for so many years, and I'm sure others here have experienced that too. It feels good to talk about the characters, ideas, and plot twists with people who are discovering them right alongside me instead of someone telling me, "Yeah, I read that when it came out last year. Neat book, but I've forgotten a lot of it now." I'd attend the club meetings even if nobody scanned anything and just chatted about the books we have. I'm happy that people get inspired to work on new books though.

Monica Willyard