[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Em-Dash

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:59:27 -0500

Hi All,

Evan, I am beginning to feel ambivalence about this cottin pickin' em-dash
as well.  For me it doesn't matter.  I mean, I am a Braille reader and this
dash seems to translate into one dash or hyphen on bookshare.org.  So I have
a question.  <big sigh>  In print, does the em-dash look a lot different
from a double dash or two hyphens?  On my Braille display when I validate a
file in Word, it looks like a capital hyphen.  My display is an 8-dot cell,
and that is how it looks.  So I am wondering how it looks in print.  Also,
what does a Daisy speech file say if someone wants to know?

Sorry to bring this up, but it is my concern for students that set me off.
<lol>  A student should know the difference in the single hyphen that is
used for compound words and a dash which, in Braille Grade II, is a double
hyphen.  I usually validate fiction, but still, I am concerned.

Sue S.