[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Dreaded die, diat, diere, diis ...

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 07:48:21 -0500

I wish it would be possible for the recognition engine to be told to believe
in the existence of lists of characters you tell it about.  I am irritated
when I scan something entirely in English, so do not have another language
chosen in the list, but encounter a word that is supposed to have a letter
with an accent in it.  I get so sick of replacing sixes with e acute!  It
isn't like that letter never occurs in words that are now English, and I
have never seen a e acute where there should have been a 6, so what were
they thinking or not thinking when they decided that it's existence should
never be admitted?

I wish I had a solution for "die" instead of "the" as well.  I remember
editing one book that was pretty much perfect accept that scanno, so it
hardly could have been scanned at the wrong brightness level, and of course
most other things could be fixed with search and replace, but that can't be
safely replaced without reading everything.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net