[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Broker--strengths and weaknesses

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 09:54:45 -0500 (EST)

Guido

I think we here have as much a philosophical question as a technical one.
As no matter what system is implemented or put in place, both on BookShare
and within our ocr software, someone will find it not to their liking.
On the one hand, having page numbers, sections, chapters, etc kept in the
text is invaluable.
But then when too much of that info is announced, others object.
My personal preference is to have more rather than less kept; and hence, a
lenient stripper;
but I alredy understand the objections especially among those who do
automated continuous reading, convert to mp3 and all the rest.

"The Broker" should be a case study in showing just how difficult all this
can be especially when dealing with automated tools and rush scanning
without hand validating.
Unintentionally, and this could in no way have been prevented other than
through painstaking effort which would have delayed availability of the
book, valuable info was lost.
In the short-run, having the book immediately available is more important
than having technical glitches dealt with.
Perhaps the best solution, in a case such as this, is to have the book
immediately made available with the originally scanned copy placed on the
step 1 validation page for someone, if they chose, to do the manual
finetuning.
Then, once validated, the improved copy would replace the original one.
That would be the best of both worlds -- quick access but also addressing
the real concerns expressed by Ken that the book isn''t optimally labeled
internally.