[bksvol-discuss] Re: The Broker--strengths and weaknesses

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:11:58 -0500

Actually I believe that at the very  least, page numbers and chapter
headings should be retained.  Note I said Chapter headings, not page
headings.

And as Guido pointed out these could be easily done without destroying the
quality of a book.

Although reading for pleasure is important there are as Dr. Cross pointed
out many schools and many universities who offer "Best Sellers" or "Modern
literature" or other such classes.  I remember attempting to do "one Flew
Over the Cuckoo's Nest" as a taped book and staying in what my teacher
deemed a readable amount of pages.  Half way through the book, though I was
following the same schedule that everyone else was I was over a chapter and
a half behind.  the NLS tape had page numbers well whenever the reader
thought it nice to put them in.  Which I think is shameful.  Another book
for the same class it was called "best sellers" and was an English elective,
my teacher and I worked out a totally different system, as everyone else was
reading ten pages a night, I read a chapter every other day, because again,
the reader of Cujo by Steven King didn't think it nice to put in the page
numbers, which you know would have made my life a whole lot easier.  My
teacher was thankfully flexible in working with this situation but I know
many teachers who wouldn't be, and the student is left with an incomplete
and almost impossible situation to work through.

I try to protect chapter headings and page numbers in the books I submit.

And you can train yourself to ignore them, but personally I feel really odd
without the indicators of how far I have gone in the book and how far I have
to go.  Sighted people have this information, why should we be any
different.

So please get the stripper under control so that it doesn't wipe page
numbers and chapter headings off the face of the earth.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com