[bksvol-discuss] Re: The British Language

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 13:48:43 -0500

In addition to the insights one can get from the different terminology used, it boggled my mind talking to a family friend who grew up in the London area during World War 1 after I read,
A falcon for the hawks
by Clive Egleton.
She recalled the Zeppelin attacks for me, and they were just amazing when one considers the changes since then.
She also mentioned trying a sweet from the Americas her father gave her, it turned out to be gum. When she told him that she had swallowed it, he told her she wasn't supposed to do that, and it would cause her insides to stick together.
Another term not mentioned yet, that wouldn't go over big in this country is fag for cigarette.

Dave

At 09:38 AM 2/6/2005, you wrote:
I have learned a lot from chatting with friends from across the sea and boy does it help understanding books by British authors and makes it easier in aproving them too.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2/1/2005