[bksvol-discuss] Thank you!

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:11:07 -0800

Volunteers,

As you have noticed my attention has been focused on developing the tool for
inserting image descriptions into our books. While I have prioritized textbooks
there is more going on as well.

Today Bookshare uploaded its first books that were image-described using the
Poet tool we have developed. The image descriptions were all done by volunteer
Pamela Hoffard! The books are from the Magic Tree House series.

If you want to enjoy one of these books keep in mind that this new technology
preserves the flow of the published text. In the past we would insert the
description in the page surrounded by square brackets. With this method the
description resides in the markup code (XML). It can be turned on or off. Only
some dtb readers have the ability to read the description so far. Those that
can expose and/or read our descriptions are:

AnyDaisy Firefox Extension
EasyReader
gh Player
JAWS for Windows
ReadHear Mac
Read:OutLoud 6
VoiceOver
Window-Eyes

The books with these descriptions are:

Magic Tree House #3: Mummies in the Morning (with image descriptions)
http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/410889

Magic Tree House #6: Afternoon on the Amazon (with image descriptions)
http://www.bookshare.org/browse/book/410892

Note the new practice in the Bookshare library. When a book has had image
descriptions added in this way we will append this phrase to the end of the
title:

(with image descriptions)

Enjoy!

scott Rains