[bksvol-discuss] Re: Text Files

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 23:31:58 -0500

Hi Cindy,

I'm making a distinction between fair and poor. I use poor to refer to a book that has unacceptable text quality.

My point is that a poor book someone takes the time to turn into excellent might be viewed from the submitter standpoint as a green light to continue because their scans are the highest rating possible. This has the potential to send more of a 'go ahead' message than does a poor book being fixed up enough to be fair or good. So, partially fixing up a poor book all the way to excellent is a drain of resources, and is encouraging bad submissions quite a bit.

Submitters who submit excellent quality rated fair, and then have it change to excellent will understand that the level of quality they provide is that level, and will hopefully continue to produce that same level.

I'm not advocating that books rated fair be automatically rejected by a validator, I'm asking that poor text quality (poor not fair) be rejected out right. If the book isn't special of course, i.e. it's rare or no matter the scan, it would require extensive work. If you have to work on a standard book to make it fair....why are you doing it? It takes your attention away from processing several other books of higher quality and sends a bad message, too.

Jake