[bksvol-discuss] Text EditorsFw: [bookshare-discuss] Re: txt files

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:10:35 -0500

Here is Dave's post on text editors.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council
www.guidedogs.com

      -- Vance Havner
----- Original Message -----
From: <talmage@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 8:22 AM
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Re: txt files

Hi Kellie, Cindy, and Shelley,

I like the SemWare Editor (T S E), which provides the user with a great
deal of flexibility in customizing it to their personal preferences.  If
you do a search on the web, you'll probably be able to find it fairly
easily.  If nobody comes up with a link for their web site, I'll find 1 and
post it later today.
There are also a number of free editors in the Blind Programmers library, I
haven't used them, but others using screen reader and braille displays have
and recommend them.
They are under the link to:
General and Miscellaneous
at
http://www.blindprogramming.com

Cindy, unfortunately I can't recommend any editors for you since you're
working on a Mac, but I'm sure there many out there.  A text editor is
basically a stripped down word processor, which usually saves in ASCII Text
format.  They are usually line oriented, rather than whysiwug (what you see
is what you get).  What I mean by line oriented, is that you have a line of
text, a line feed / carriage return, page break, etc.  They don't typically
save font info, do fancy print jobs, or go overboard with other special
attributes.  Most people now a days find them useful for writing source
code for program compilers, and as simple note takers.  It could be said
that Windows NotePad is a text editor, but a very inflexible one at that.

HTH

Dave