[bksvol-discuss] Testing the Stripper

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:00:40 -0700

I just downloaded the last book I validated. I used the technique of putting a page number at the top of the page above the chapter title, since in this case, the other pages had a page number at the top. I haven't checked all of them yet, but it appears that doing this does indeed protect the chapter title. Not that I didn't trust Grace, but I was especially relieved in this case because each chapter merely begins with a number, 1, 2, 3, etc. So if they had been removed, a reader might not notice that a new chapter was beginning.

Hopefully this might ease the anxiety of some new people about how to protect chapter titles. Unfortunately, before you get too complacent, there's another part to this stripper story.

I was horrified to discover that part of the title was stripped! The title is Carve the Sky, and it was written with one word on each line. And in both places - on the title page, and on another inside page in the front above some praise from magazines and other authors - the word "Carve" was missing! How embarrassing! It never occurred to me that the title itself needed to be protected.

I'm happy my name isn't listed publicly as the validator of this book, because most members neither know nor care about automated systems mucking about with our work. But if my name were listed, I would be embarrassed to be known as the validator of record, because it looks as though I did a lousy job. But how was I to know that it would strip material in the preliminary pages? I suppose you could say that it is a minor thing, being only one word occurring twice. But it's the title of the book.

I guess the moral of this story is: Protect anything and everything that might even remotely be a candidate for stripping - including all preliminary pages. One way this probably could be done is to add a Roman numeral to each preliminary page, whether they are in the book or not - even the front and back cover, if they were scanned. There are probably other ways. Adding any character to the top of each page might be enough to do the job.

Evan