[bksvol-discuss] Re: Temporary Paralysis with ScanSoft

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:27:51 -0600

Dear Evan;

I cannot speak directly to the issue that you are sharing, but I can
potentially relate to the overall issue and the dilemma I am currently debating
within my own mind on a book I am currently working on. There is a particular
style, and I do not know what it is called although I have seen it on my ribbon
in Word 2007, whereby the lowercase letters look like smaller uppercase
letters.  It is almost as if they are just a few points smaller than the true
upper case letters.  Some of the engines in using their translation, correctly
interpret them as lower case, and others represent them as a smaller point
uppercase.

Technically the first is correct, but visually, the second seems more
appropriate in many or most cases.  A book I am working on has this running
throughout the book, and always in the chapter headings which look to be upper
case, but are in fact this lower case and I cannot decide if I should have the
word chapter in all upper or lower case.  I know neither would be wrong, and
yet I find myself unable to choose.

Really sad, isn't it?  LOL

Valerie