[bksvol-discuss] Temporary Paralysis with ScanSoft

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <k1000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:29:07 -0500

Hey Guys,

I'm currently using K1000 version 11.03. (I do plan to upgrade next month.)
Anyway, on my Vista Home Premium machine, I usually use the FineReader engine,
mainly out of habit I suppose. But this morning, I decided to try the ScanSoft
engine because I was scanning a list of books in the preliminaries of a book
I'm scanning and the titles are in all upper-case. FineReader has this strange
bug where it often--but not always--turns text that's in all caps into
lower-case. So I decided to try the ScanSoft engine to see how it would do.
Well, it did fine. All the text that is in all caps came out as it should have.
The problem is that after recognition was done, my K1000 seemed to be paralyzed
for something close to 20 seconds. I couldn't do a thing with it. This has
never happened with FineReader. As soon as I get the recognition complete
signal using that recognition engine, (a bell in my case), I can move around in
the document, access the menus, whatever. I scanned several more pages with
ScanSoft and the recognition was great, but this temporary paralysis after the
recognition complete message was consistent. I reloaded the program and it's
still doing it.

Anyone else here seen this and know what's going on? It seems to be a great
recognition engine, but I can't use it if it's going to do that. Was this fixed
in the new version that's in K1000 version 12, assuming this is not a problem
unique to my system?

Thanks for any feedback.

Evan