[bksvol-discuss] Tables in Books (was a really tough decision to make)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 23:24:24 -0600

Hi Valerie (and all),

I've downloaded several books in the last two weeks that had tables in them that were correctly preserved. In fact, I haven't run across a book in months that didn't have the tables preserved. So now I'm very curious as to why your table formatting isn't being preserved, Valerie! I sure want to know what's going on so all your hard work isn't lost. You must be so frustrated!

If it's any help, in the books I've downloaded recently that definitely had tables and definitely had them preserved, I downloaded the DAISY version, and worked with the XML, making sure to keep three files from the .zip file I downloaded, so that the browser correctly displayed the tables. Those files are the .xml file, the daisyTransform.xsl file and the html.css file. All three must be extracted and in the same directory for the browser to correctly display the formatting in the .xml file. I'm using both the Firefox and Seamonkey browsers.

I've totally quit downloading .brf files, which I used to use all the time, because the formatting and information is stripped out of them by my back-translation software (I use nfbtrans to turn a .brf file into a text file). So I can't tell you what's going on with these same books in the .brf format.

So, for what it's worth, that's been my recent experiences with tables in downloaded books! smile.

Judy s.