[bksvol-discuss] Re: Table Of Contents

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:27:51 -0600

Hi Mayrie!!

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Yes, Evan's comment about both the varying number of dots and the varying sizes of braille displays people use can get awkward.

I know there is no perfect solution, so leaving it up to the individual proofreader seems like the best approach.

Debby

At 01:12 AM 11/5/2009, Mayrie ReNae wrote
Hi Debby,

        We hadn't discussed that particular issue, but Evan did make a very
good point, that braille readers will have a pretty rough time with the dot
leaders because of the varying sizes of braille displays.  I'm torn here.  I
do believe that if tables of contents have the dot leaders already included,
those would be most helpful for sighted readers.  This is a tough one for
me.  I want to help everyone the best that we can, and I think the choices
here are  no fun.  I think that I, personally, would leave the dot leaders
if they already exist.  And I cringe saying that, because I do know how that
will make things terribly awkward for the braille reader.  But I also think
that the dot leaders where already present will make things easier for the
sighted print disabled reader.  For a speech user, the dot leaders could be
a problem.  I just don't know.

Don't you just love it when I'm wishy-washy?  Why not leave it up to the
discretion of the individual proofreader?  Is that a cop out?

Mayrie