[bksvol-discuss] Re: TXT and page breaks

  • From: Tracy Carcione <carcione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 14:09:06 -0400 (EDT)

Jesse,
I agree with what Pratik said.
Furthermore, often it's a choice of me, the volunteer, putting the page breaks into the txt file, or having none at all. For myself, a dedicated BRF file user, page breaks make no difference at all, but Guido says the lack of breaks really screws up the Daisy files. So I try to do the best job I can, and put them in, which turns out to be a gigantic pain. If I could only convert the txt to rtf, it would be so much easier.

I tried Textpad, but I have the same problem with it that I have with Notepad, namely that the lines go on way past where Jaws reads, so to read them I need to keep scrolling right. I guess that kind of scrolling is easy with a mouse, but it's not with Jaws. If anyone knows how to do it without physically moving the cursor, please tell me privately. carcione@xxxxxxxxxx
But perhaps Textpad will serve for putting in these pesky page breaks.
Tracy

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Jesse Fahnestock wrote:

Tracy --

The answer as to why txt submissions need to be resubmitted as RTF is, I believe, that
our system is set up to minimize the introduction of errors or new elements (the latter
of which is questionable in terms of copyright). While I'm not suggesting you wouldn't
get the pages right, allowing volunteers to resubmit in RTF would allow the potential for
incorrect structure and formatting to be added to the book, "by default" as it
were (or by MSWord). At least I believe that was the thinking.

I understand that it's possible to enter "form feed" page breaks in text files.
Pratik, was it not you who told me about that? Can you clarify for Tracy?

Finally, I heartily recommend TextPad (www.textpad.com) as a quality free
editor for text files (and HTML, if you need that).