[bksvol-discuss] Re: Synopses

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:12:06 -0400

I just submitted it and I did use the blurb on Amazon, but there was not a lot of it. I just pasted that into the short synopsis and used a preliminary page in the book with a quote from the book for the long synopsis. Lisa is welcome to change it. I think that the problem is that this was a really obscure book that was not expected to or planned to sell a whole lot on its publication and so the publisher did not do much to promote it. Not only is there not a synopsis on Good Reads, but not very many people have even read it nor added it to their bookshelves. That is a pity too. It is a 382 page book that is as well written as any fantasy novel I have ever read. It deserves being lifted out of its obscurity.

On 9/23/2012 11:47 AM, Chela Robles wrote:
I'm changing the subject line so that way it can not throw anyone off.
Yes you can use the synopses from the product in Amazon from the publisher's description...but, you can't use user comments.
--
"Passion is a great motivator. Music is a life-long learning experience."
--
On 9/23/2012 8:42 AM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
I thought that a long time ago we were instructed on this list to not use synopsis information from Amazon. It has been a long time now, so perhaps I am remembering wrong and it was just part of what you find on Amazon that we were not to use.
On 9/23/2012 9:36 AM, Mark Lind-Hanson wrote:
Roger
You can also use the Product Description (if there is one) from Amazon.
DO NOT use any reader reviews or other content, which would be considered copyrightable.
Mark Lind-Hanson

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:23:12 -0400
From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] About to submit a fantasy.

I know that there are at least a couple of big time fantasy fans on this
list, so I am going to give one of you a crack at this. I will soon be
submitting The Thief of Kalimar by Graham Diamond. I don't think that
you will find very many scanning errors, but I am going to leave the
formatting up to you. I may leave the synopsis up to you too. The back
cover did not scan and I do not find a synopsis on Good Reads, so I will either have to write the synopsis myself or leave it to the proofer and,
as for me, I have been working on this so long that I will be glad to
finish and I don't know if I want to compose a synopsis too. I suppose
it remains to be seen if one will be filled in when I upload it. Anyway,
here is basically what it is about. There is a thief who lives on the
streets of a walled city in what amounts to a ghetto and he is barely
scraping by with his lover who is a dancing girl. A stranger passes
through town and the couple find themselves becoming traveling
companions with him. Many dangers are faced in this fantasy land and the book culminates in the defeat of an evil empire. Pretty standard fantasy
fare, eh? Oh yes, prepare yourself for magic too. More standard fantasy
fare, eh? I will let the first person who asks for it have it. I will
probably be uploading it tomorrow and if no one has requested it by then
I will throw it up for grabs.

------------------------------

From: Lisa Gorden-Cushman <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: About to submit a fantasy.
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 21:33:58 -0700

Hi Roger, if no one has claimed it yet I would be very interested in proofing it. Let me know what you think thanks, Lisa

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 22, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx <mailto:rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

> I know that there are at least a couple of big time fantasy fans on this list, so I am going to give one of you a crack at this. I will soon be submitting The Thief of Kalimar by Graham Diamond. I don't think that you will find very many scanning errors, but I am going to leave the formatting up to you. I may leave the synopsis up to you too. The back cover did not scan and I do not find a synopsis on Good Reads, so I will either have to write the synopsis myself or leave it to the proofer and, as for me, I have been working on this so long that I will be glad to finish and I don't know if I want to compose a synopsis too. I suppose it remains to be seen if one will be filled in when I upload it. Anyway, here is basically what it is about. There is a thief who lives on the streets of a walled city in what amounts to a ghetto and he is barely scraping by with his lover who is a dancing girl. A stranger passes through town and the couple find themselves becoming traveling com panions with him. Many dangers are faced in this fantasy land and the book culminates in the defeat of an evil empire. Pretty standard fantasy fare, eh? Oh yes, prepare yourself for magic too. More standard fantasy fare, eh? I will let the first person who asks for it have it. I will probably be uploading it tomorrow and if no one has requested it by then I will throw it up for grabs.
> bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line. To get a list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

End of bksvol-discuss Digest V9 #276