[bksvol-discuss] Re: Support Needed For Our Volunteers and Members

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 11:56:55 -0500

Hi. In my area, there is an Angel Food host site about 10 minutes from my
house. We've gotten food there for five months now. They take food stamps,
checks, cash, and credit cards. I have a neighbor who uses the service, and
she has offered several times to pick up my order for me. Since I live with
sighted family members, I don't need the help. If I did, I'm relieved to
know she'd help me. In that case, I'd give the box of cookies in my grocery
box to her since she has four children.

Here in Atlanta, neighborhoods are starting to organize cooking co-ops where
the whole neighborhood gets together one day a month and cooks some huge
pots of soup, chili, and lasagna. They share a meal together, and each
family takes several containers of food to eat from during the next month.
They buy the ingredients in bulk, use vegetables grown locally, and use
herbs from their own herb gardens. It helps people save money on grocery
bills and has the extra benefit of turning anonymous neighbors into new
friends. The neighborhood kids seem to really like it and help with grating
cheese, chopping vegetables,  and tearing up lettuce for the shared meal. I
want to do this in my neighborhood too.

Monica Willyard