[bksvol-discuss] Re: Superscript footnotes; accented letters

  • From: Charles Wadman <cewadman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:41:12 -0700

A macron is a horizontal line over a vowel used to indicate pronunciation as a long vowel. The scanner that was used sometimes just shows the vowel, sometimes a numeral like 8, or even as an apostrophe following the vowel. In this book those vowels are only used in proper names.

I can fix those (and the superscripts, which just show as numbers attached to the word)in the RTF file, but I'm wondering what Bookshare's processing will do to them in the audio version.

I know how braille would handle them (I'm a transcriber), but, again, I don't know what Bookshare's translator will do to them. If they're using Duxbury, the superscripts will be ignored entirely, and the microned vowels will be replaced by blanks. In which case I should show superscripts as in-line numbers and microned vowels as plain vowels. If they're not using Duxbury then I dunno.

I kinda hate to leave them as is, but I will if necessary.

Charlie Wadman

At 04:46 PM 6/14/2004, you wrote:

I don't know what the conversion tool does with those particular characters,
but as a general rule, fixing is good.  How are these characters currently
represented in the scan?  The answer to that may help to determin what is
best.
I would think that braille would use the numbers that are superscript, but I
don't know if the superscript nature of the numbers would be indicated.  I
think braille would just ignore the fact that the numbers were superscript
like it ignores all other font styles.
I don't know what exactly a macron is for, so I can't help there.
In the daisy file, I would think all characters would be preserved, so
accuracy would be ideal.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net