[bksvol-discuss] Summer Chunksters

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:04:20 -0700

A major omission in the Bookshare collection is Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. It qualifies as a chunkster as it exceeds 700 pages. It is a major omission because the sequel, Judas Unchained, is in the collection but not this one, so its absence is rather glaring to me. Unfortunately, I have too many commitments to take on this job for a while. If someone is interested in a really long tale totaling around 1500 pages with the two books combined, they might try this one. A great SF work with a very well-drawn world and quite a few multidimensional characters, not to mention plenty of suspense and action, although he does take some time setting everything up. For those to whom the phrase "space opera" means something, this is truly wide screen space opera from one of its best practitioners. You won't be disappointed, although you may need some patience. But it will be well rewarded, I think.

Evan