[bksvol-discuss] Summary of Teens Club Meeting 10-25-07

  • From: "Pat Price" <patlprice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 08:40:38 -0400

Teens Club Meeting 10-25-07 Summary

The first meeting of the Teen Book Club was held on Thursday night.
Although only one teen attended, interested adults were also there to cheer
on the maiden voyage.  This led to a productive discussion about book
selection and marketing the club.

With regard to book selection, some felt that the books chosen should be
recreational while others expressed the view that the club could deal with
literary classics.  People pointed out that libraries and bookstores could
be contacted to determine what young people were borrowing, buying and
enjoying.  Bookshare also has a section specifically geared to young adult
literature and a list of teacher recommended reading.

People also shared their thoughts about marketing.  Gaining a presence on
social networking sites such as Myspace and Facebook, posting a carefully
crafted press release to various lists and encouraging teens to share
information ABOUT THE CLUB IN SCHOOL AND AT OTHER EVENTS THEY ATTEND WERE
SOME OF THE IDEAS MENTIONED.

The next meeting will take place on Saturday, November 17th, at 3:00 p.m.
Pacific, 6:00 p.m.
Eastern time in the Friends of Bookshare Community Room at
http://conference321.com/masteradmin/room.asp?id=rs7867a2369e0e

I know of four teens who are interested in attending and I will try to get
more prior to that date.  I will certainly consider all of the ideas
presented on Thursday though I believe that the teens should be the voice of
the club.  Once we get more of them, they will work towards selecting a book
and dealing with other issues.  I hope to have the teens run the club and to
act as an adviser and troubleshooter.

Don Horn, Club Advisor
broadwaydon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx