[bksvol-discuss] Re: Submitting An Already Scanned Book

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 23:32:28 -0500

Hi, Chela. You can submit any book you like to Bookshare, whether it's on the wish list or not. Once you log in and choose the link to submit a book, you will need to fill out a form that asks for the title, author, copyright date, and other things about your book. You will use the browse button to find the rtf file you want to upload on your computer. Once you've filled in the form and browsed for your file to upload, you'll tab over to the upload button and press enter on that. Your screenreader will be quiet for a bit while your book uploads. Then you should see a page load that thanks you for submitting your book and lets you know that it will be reviewed for approval. Once another volunteer validates your book, you will get an email letting you know that your book has been approved.

Monica Willyard

Chela Robles wrote:
What if the book is not even on the list? Does it have to be on the
list in order for it to be submitted? Can't I submit something that is
not even on the list or has been requested just to add something to
the collection of books? How does that work, after logging in, hit
submit, then what?

On 12/29/07, Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, Chela. Welcome to volunteering. (smile) When you're ready to submit
a book, log into the Bookshare site and choose the link that says
"submit a book." If you're submitting a better version of a book in the
Bookshare collection, fill out the form as if you were submitting a new
book. The only thing you do differently is to write the letters BSO
before the title of the book on the form. For example, if you're
submitting a book called Little Women, when you fill out the form type
BSO Little Women as your title. The BSO designation tells everyone that
your book is intended to be a better scan of a book already in the
collection.

One thing that you can do to make the validation process faster and
easier is to put your email address in the comments section on the form.
It's right before you get to the upload button. It's not required. It
does help us though. When we validate books, it makes the whole process
easier if we know how to contact the submitter of the book if there are
pages missing or if we're confused about something in the file.

Once you've submitted a book, please consider letting us know about it
on this list. Someone will probably be interested in working on your
book and will validate it for you. Since there are usually around 400
books awaiting validation, this is a good way to get your book noticed
and to build relationships with people who are interested in the kind of
books you like to scan.

Good luck with your first book.

Monica Willyard

Chela Robles wrote:
Hello,
I'm new to this list as well as the other list, the bookshare-discuss
one. I just scanned a book using kurzweil1000 and saved two books
using the .rtf format, and saw it was ok to do according to guidelines
in the website, however, the trouble is submitting it for validation,
how do I proceed?
Thanks A Great Deal And God Bless,--
Chela Robles
E-Mail: cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx