[bksvol-discuss] Submitted: Territory

  • From: "BlindGeek" <yakkoman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 17:10:40 -0800

I submitted this book several months ago, and noticed it still hasn't been
validated. I'm not complaining; the title doesn't exactly jump out at you.  So
since I still have the original rtf onhand, I thought I'd post the jacket info
here and see if it strikes anyone's fancy.  Here it is.
* * *
WYATT EARP. DOC HOLLIDAY.

IKE CLANTON.

YOU THINK YOU KNOW THE STORY.

YOU DON'T.

Tombstone, Arizona, in 1881 is the site of one of the richest mineral strikes
in American history, where veins of silver run like ley lines under the earth,
a network of power that belongs to anyone who knows how to claim and defend it.

Above the ground, power is also about allegiances. A magician can drain his
friends' strength to strengthen himself, and can place his friends between
himself and danger. The one with the most friends stands to win the territory.

Jesse Fox left his Eastern college to travel West, where he's made some
decidedly odd friends, like the physician Chow Lung, who insists that Jesse has
a talent for magic. In Tombstone, Jesse meets the tubercular Doc Holliday,
whose magic is as suppressed as his own, and attracts the sorcerous attention
of Wyatt Earp.

Mildred Benjamin is a young widow making her living as a newspaper typesetter,
and- unbeknownst to the other ladies of Tombstone-selling tales of Western
derring-do to the magazines back East. Like Jesse, Mildred has episodes of
seeing.  When a failed stagecoach holdup results in two dead, Tombstone
explodes with speculation about who attempted the robbery. The truth could
destroy Earp's plans for wealth and glory, and he'll do anything to bury it.
Meanwhile, outlaw leader John Ringo wants the same turf as Earp. Each man
courts Jesse as an ally as they struggle for control of the territory.

Events are building toward the shoot-out of which you may have heard. But you
haven't heard the whole, secret story until you've read Emma Bull's unique take
on an American legend, in which absolutely nothing is as it seems. . . .

* * *

Enjoy.