[bksvol-discuss] Submitted: In spite of the gods : the strange rise of modern India

  • From: jnuttallphd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

Submitted for validation:
In spite of the gods : the strange rise of modern India -- 2007

Spellchecked very carefully, many Indian names, should not need spell checking.
Headers removed.
Blank pages labelled and numbered.
A burgeoning economic and geopolitical giant, India has the 21st century
stamped on it more visibly than any other nation after China and the U.S. It's
been an expanding force since at least 1991, explains journalist Luce, when
India let go of much of the protectionist apparatus devised under Nehru after
independence in 1947 from Britain, as part of a philosophy of swadeshi (or
self-reliance) that's still relevant in India's multiparty democracy. From his
vantage as the (now former) Financial Times's South Asia bureau chief, Luce
illuminates the drastically lopsided features of a nuclear power still burdened
by mass poverty and illiteracy, which he links in part to government control of
the economy, an overwhelmingly rural landscape, and deep-seated institutional
corruption. While describing religion's complex role in Indian society, Luce
emphasizes an extremely heterogeneous country with a growing consumerist
culture, a geographically uneven labor force
 and an enduring caste system.
Jim Nuttall--Michigan