[bksvol-discuss] Submitted Double Play and looking for Proofer

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 13:04:42 -0700

Hi, Everyone,
I just submitted the book "Double Play: the San Francisco City Hall Killings by
Jack Weiss.  I heard an interview by the author and was enthralled.
A synopsis of the book and comments about quality are below:
The city of San Francisco and, to a lesser extent, the nation were throttled in
November 1978 when a former city supervisor named Dan White opened fire and
killed Mayor George Moscone and city supervisor Harvey Milk. Author Mike Weiss'
book is one of the few that ticks down the seconds to the double killing and,
though no one knew it at the time, to a social uprising that left much of the
city in ruin. We get a picture of a professionally

and financially desperate man whose act may have been largely to avenge his not
being reinstated to his job after he resigned.

This nuts-and-bolts synopsis is greatly detailed by Weiss' vivid reconstruction
of the personalities and politics

that were on a collision course, and his work emerges as an informative
commentary on a major event in the city's rich history. Additionally, while
there have been

some books written about both Moscone and Milk, few (if any) have been done
about their killer. Weiss creates an in-depth character study of White, which
few other writers have attempted. In sum, this book has murder, sex, politics
and family, their ultimate collision that eventually cost three lives is all
the more tragic because it really happened.

I have read through this book protected page numbers, verified unusual dialog
or phrasing, properly formatted the many ellipses in the text and corrected all
scannoes. It should be a straightforward proof. The bookshare tools marked the
book as adult, and I have mixed feelings about that determination. If the
proofreader feels differently, please change.

I hope that someone who enjoys true crime books, history, dramatic trials, or
psychological analyses will enjoy proofreading this submission. The book is
well-written and very readable.

Lori C.