[bksvol-discuss] Submitted Cold Hazard--a Mystery Solved

  • From: "Ilene Sirocca" <ilenesia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:03:13 -0400

Hi,

I may not always mention every book I submit, but this one i want to say something about. It's called Cold Hazard by Richard Armstrong Lee. Some time ago I asked the list through Cindy Lou, I think, if anyone jknew the title of a certain book, a sea adventure for which I gave some details. Many tried to help but we could not find the title. However, i had also asked on a site, www.loganbury.com, under which is a used bookstore called Loganburty Books where they do their best to help everyone find old titles they can't think of. After many months someone came up with the title Danger Rock. I found this book and it was indeed the right one, sort of, but it was the British version. There were slight differences in the text, especially in one scene I vividly remembered, and the copyright info was missing. So i discovered this American version, which is definitely the one i read, and am now passing it on to you, especially to kids twelve and up, and i hope you will enjoy it as much as I did. It's been inspected and protected, and here's the blurb:

. It was a wet, cramped, bone-aching

passage. For six endless days seventeenyear-Old Jim Naylor and his men had been at the mercy of a wild North Atlantic gale in a fourteen-foot jolly boat. The small open boat swooped and rolled, driven by tearing February winds. Distrust and suspicion broke out among the four apprentice seamen and one old Shetland sailor who had put out from the sinking cargo ship, Drumlogan, six days earlier. They had been driven way beyond the normal shipping lanes and any hope of rescue - when suddenly a mass of high black cliffs rising out of the ocean gave the men new hope and courage. These gave way again, however, to hopelessness and despair when the desolate, inhospitable island proved to be an ironbound trap that imprisoned them as effectively as the wildness of the sea had ever done.

Richard Armstrong's story of the terrifying struggle of five men against the cold fury of the North Atlantic sea is written in a vivid documentary style. It has an authenticity and conviction, based on Mr. Armstrong's seventeen years as a seaman. The illustrations of the British artist C. Walter Hodges have a grim, intense reality, and graphically picture the stark drama of men in the face of the elements.

With this mystery off my mind, I'll move on to the next.

Regards,

Ilene