[bksvol-discuss] Re: Submitted BSO: The Rise of Endymion

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 15:15:29 EDT

I am catching up on my email after having been out last night and a little
while before I got to this one I came across one notifying me of the result
of a quality report I made some time ago. There were some really minor
errors in the book, but they were still errors and presumably Bookshare wants
the
most perfect copy possible, so I made a quality report about them. Well, I
have just been informed that the entire book has been rescanned and
replaced. This makes me think that it is not worth bothering to scan a BSO
anymore.
That is one of the points I made at an earlier time when I was asking if
perhaps volunteers are gradually becoming obsolete.

          "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything.
" Malcolm X

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Submitted BSO: The Rise of Endymion
Date:
10/2/2009 8:05:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hello Folks,

I've submitted a BSO of The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons. This replaces
a copy rated only Good. It's not the worst book I've seen, but it needs
redone.
I've read through every word and done a complete spell check. All page
breaks are present as well as all page numbers. All chapter headings have been
bolded
and enlarged. If it gets Jiffy proofed, hopefully no major errors will show
up to plague future readers. This is the sequel to Endymion, so if you
haven't
read that one, you may want to before starting this one. It's not a
necessity, but it might be helpful.

Below I've copied the comments I placed in the Comments section of the
submission form.

email address:
mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx
Please uncheck the Adult rating. This book does not deserve that.
I have rewritten the equations on pages 564 and 565 for clarity and because
some of the symbols will not translate correctly in braille if left as they
are. They needed to be rewritten as well because they did not scan as they
were printed.  Also, speech readers will be able to hear them more easily.
Some of the lines of poetry on page 134 have some odd symbols at their
ends, such as backslashes and forward slashes. I left those in, but I have no
idea
why they are there.
Some names are spelled inconsistently.

The last four books I've submitted have all been chunksters: 630 pages, 758
pages, 713 pages, and now this one at 709 pages. That comes out to over a
million
words. This is the last one I'll be doing for a while.  My next submission
will actually be under 200 pages. Feels like almost nothing in comparison. <
smile>

Happy reading.

Evan