[bksvol-discuss] Submission: The End of Food

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 15:49:05 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted for validation the End of Food by Paul Roberts.

It's been read through and corrected, with all headers stripped and with
page numbers and chapter titles protected.
Ranked spelling over 99%. 390 pages.

[Book Jacket]
Paul Roberts, the best-selling author of The End of Oil, turns his attention
to the modern food economy and finds that the system entrusted to meet our
most basic need is failing.
In this carefully researched, vivid narrative, Roberts lays out the stark
economic realities behind modern food and shows how our system of making,
marketing, and moving what we eat is growing less and less compatible with
the billions of consumers that system was built to serve.
At the heart of The End of Food is a grim paradox: the rise of large-scale
food production, though it generates more food more cheaply than at any time
in history, has reached a point of dangerously diminishing returns. Our
high- volume factory systems are creating new risks for food-borne illness,
from E. coli to avian flu. Our high-yield crops and livestock generate
grain, vegetables, and meat of declining nutritional quality. While nearly
one billion people worldwide are overweight or obese, the same number of
people-one in every seven of us-can't get enough to eat. In some of the
hardest-hit regions, such as sub-Saharan Africa, the lack of a single
nutrient, vitamin A, has left more than five million children permanently
blind.
Meanwhile, the shift to heavily mechanized, chemically intensive farming has
so compromised soil and water that it's unclear how long such output can be
maintained. And just as we've begun to understand the limits of our
abundance, the burgeoning economies of Asia, with their rising middle
classes, are adopting Western- style, meat-heavy diets, putting new demands
on global food supplies.
Comprehensive in scope and full of fresh insights, The End of Food presents
a lucid, stark vision of the future. It is a call for us to make crucial
decisions to help us survive the demise of food production as we know it.

Deborah