[bksvol-discuss] Submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BookShare" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:07:27 -0400

Hi all,

Just submitted a nonfiction book for validation.
Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
by Ha-Joon Chang

It's been read through, with headers stripped; page numbers and chapter
titles protected. K1000 ranked spelling over 99.9%.

[From the book jacket]
With irreverent wit, an engagingly personal style, and a battery of
real-life examples, Ha-Joon Chang blasts holes in the "World Is Flat"
orthodoxy of Thomas Friedman and other neo-liberal economists who argue that
only unfettered capitalism and wide-open international trade can lift
struggling nations out of poverty. On the contrary, Chang shows, today's
economic superpowers-from the United States to Britain to his native South
Korea-all attained prosperity by shameless protectionism and government
intervention in industry. We in the wealthy nations have conveniently
forgotten this fact, telling ourselves a fairy tale about the magic of free
trade and-via our proxies such as the World Bank, International Monetary
Fund, and World Trade Organization-ramming policies that suit ourselves down
the throat of the developing world.
Unlike typical economists who construct models of how economies are supposed
to behave, Chang examines the past: what has actually happened. His
pungently contrarian history demolishes one pillar after another of
free-market mythology. We treat patents and copyrights as sacrosanct-but
developed our own industries by studiously copying others' technologies. We
insist that centrally planned economies stifle growth-but many developing
countries had higher GDP growth before they were pressured into deregulating
their economies.

Deborah