[bksvol-discuss] Re: Stripper, get outa town!

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 13:20:14 -0500

Hi Kellie,

That sounds like a bit of a bullsh!t line to me.
It sounds more likely that the question was what can we use as a justification to say no to more volunteer interaction so we don't have to come up with a way of determining whether the individual's skill level, and knowledge, warrant the extra effort to bring them on board. I can certainly understand why Bookshare wouldn't want volunteers running rampant across the system, and no matter how well intended, some people can mess up even a roll of toilet paper.
I've also heard the line that the source code is confidential, and they would be worried about control. I don't believe that should truly be a concern except maybe for the most paranoid. While the service provided is great, the software running behind the scenes certainly isn't earth shattering, and I can't imagine there are any uniquely sensitive corporate secrets involved.

Dave

At 11:34 AM 2/5/2005, you wrote:
Dave,
It seemed that the legal issue that prevented volunteers from being able to
do more on the site had to do with not being employees receiving
remuneration. I wondered why a certain period of free Bookshare membership
for individuals doing significant work on the site couldn't be considered
remuneration. If that were written into a contract which could be signed by
Bookshare and the volunteers in question I don't see why that couldn't work.
Kellie