[bksvol-discuss] Re: Stripper,

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:44:22 -0500 (EST)

Kenneth

I understand, and that's why the automated stripper ought to be abandoned
as it tends to do as much damage as good in many instances.
It is sort of ironical, as an example, that Bookshare, in its pr releases,
trumpets the NewBerry Award winners as being available.
What would be interesting to see, and no I'm not going to do the downloads
to find out, is whether the formatting, pagaination, et al issues would
cause students difficulties.
I have no doubt that regular readers would find the books readable; but,
ordinary people don't tend to read that kind of book on a routine basis
anyway.

Let us not forget that BookShare is largely a volunteer effort; and, as
that, it will always have large inconsistencies and incongruities as a
result.
And, in the vast majority of instances, these are more than acceptible.