[bksvol-discuss] Re: Stripper,

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:24:43 -0500 (EST)

One of the big problems, and there is no practical way around it, is books
are prepared and validated in so many different ways guaranteeing that
consistency just cannot happen.
While page numbers, page breaks, and all the rest certainly are desirable
and should been striven for,
realistically, if we can get chapter numbers included, we may be achieving
about all that one can hope for.
Certainly, the stripper can get part of the blame for the problem,
certainly book preparation contributes to it, and validators can do only
so much.
Hence, the new policy related to page breaks is about all one could have
hoped for given the nature of the animal we're dealing with.
I had just submitted a book, Dakota Born by Debbie Macomber, replete with
page numbers on every page and Chapter numbers protected.
Fortunately, the Chapter titles were preserved; page numbers are all but
extinct.
With this kind of book it doesn't matter, but if the stripper caused this
problem, even in part, it did a disservice to the membership.
I suggest again, one is better off with too much rather than not enough
header and footer junk.
As long as automated processes are employed by the system and validators
and submitters to destroy unwanted info, it is inevitable that damage will
be done.
And, on the other hand, I don't think painstaking hand edited necessarily
makes sense either, other than on special books, as that time could be
better employed elsewhere.
So, I think we have to learn to live with what the situation is and be
thankful that the problem even exists as at least we have books we
otherwise wouldn't have.