[bksvol-discuss] Re: Strange occurence Possibly lost a file

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 15:07:00 -0500

Hi Melissa!

I forgot to say that I shut down my computer each night too, so that's not the problem, because I have never had a problem like you had.

Debby

At 12:30 PM 5/17/2010, Melissa Smith wrote
Well, this morning I decided to open this file, and see if I could figure out what was going on with it. It made no sense to me that the file was still the correct number of pages and the same file size, but only contained junk. It had returned to its normal state, in other words, all the text was there, and so far as I can tell at this point all the editing I had done is there. After having this trouble Saturday, I decided to work on a different book, since I was really frustrated with this one. I shut my computer down each night, so I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. After not being able to figure out what had happened to this file, I did not do anything with it until I decided to look at it this morning. So, I guess, if something strange like this happens to you, try shutting down and then restarting your computer. It just might work.

Melissa Smith

On 5/15/2010 11:59 AM, Melissa Smith wrote:
I was doing some proofing this morning. I was about half way through this book. All of a sudden my screen read quit talking. I started narrator, to get out of the pickle. Well, I opened the Windows Task Manager, and was going to end Window-Eyes, so I could reopen it and continue. I couldn't find it in the list. I went back into Word and saved the file, and closed it, trying to get out of everything and see what was going on. It saved fine. Once I got Window-Eyes running again, and reopened the file I was proofing, there were strange things in the file. It was still the 228 pages of the original file, but none of the original text was there, as far as I could tell, anyways. All I could hear was something about MakeYourMoveProofingCopy.rtf running and Make Your Move running followed by several blank lines, a page break, several blank lines, and something about the cpu usage. Did I totally lose my work? I have the original file, and can start over, but I would really, really prefer not to. Any ideas what happened, and what, if anything I can do to fix it?
Thanks,

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>