[bksvol-discuss] Re: Strange Character

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:28:50 -0400

Dear Jake, if you're still there, or anyone who can help

I'm still struggling with files from several different, reliable and careful submittors, which are full of superscripts and subscripts. They are also showing up in the careful scans I do using K1000.

Visually, sometimes I can see that letters in a superscript are higher than they should be and the reverse for the subscripts.

Sometimes when there are a group of blank lines, as I arrow through them, Jaws will even say begin super script, end superscript.

The superscript problem often occurs on and around chapter titles.

I've tried highlighting the lines and going to font in Word 2003 and making sure sub and superscript aren't checked. They never are checked so I can't uncheck them. I use Control b to put bold on or off of highlighted words. I use Control I for italics and bold u for underline. I just can't find a way to rid my validations or prevalidations of these sub and superscripts.

I should qualify. If I delete the affected lines or words, and delete a line or word before it, I can retype that material and it won't be super and sub scripted. This is time consuming. But this doesn't always work and I've actually submitted some books with unresolved super/sub script issues.

I don't know what the tools will do. If I knew they would ignore the superscripts and subscripts, then I guess I could ignore them, too, though I would rather be able to correct them. Since they are appearing where we don't want them, we would be lucky if the tools ignored them. On the other hand, in math equations and superscript numbers in text indicating footnotes or end notes, etc, we are sad when the tools don't indicate such numbers are superscripted because we have taken time and care to put them in. I do it by writing a number as usual, highlighting it, going to options in the tools menu, and tabbing to superscript and entering to check the box for it, then tabbing to OK. When I exit menu the number is elevated as it was in the text.

By the way, with good advice from Evan, I am now deleting those nonbreaking spaces, all of them at once with a global replace of their number replaced with nothing. You need to turn the numlock on the numpad and type the number while holding the alt key down. This is my way of demonstrating I'm progressing, though new problems like that with the sub/superscript are still cropping up.

Technical advice helps so much!

Thanks in advance.

Always with love,

Lissi