[bksvol-discuss] Re: Spreading the word

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:47:38 -0800

Hi  Valerie, I don't suppose those dear teachers in your state are
frightened about illiteracy? I read a very disturbing book a few years ago
called Illiterate America by Jonathan Kozol. He claimed at the time of
writing that 1/3 of Americans are either totally or functionally illiterate.
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? This tends to bug me because people who read
Braille are a small minority among blind people. I get especially bugged
when I here that teachers didn't want to be bothered to make sure their
students could read, and if you happened to be blind, you could get along
with audio. Sorry, but that won't wash with me. If somebody has diabetes and
has neuropathy in their fingers, that's one reason why Braille would be
impossible for some blind people. I'm not denying that reading it would take
hard work, but those who work at it and master it can say they are literate
in that they can open a book and read it. I'm not implying that if somebody
can't read that they're lacking in intelligence. You've certainly found out
that you can find smart illiterate people and stupid literate ones who have
a problem with certain consequences of certain actions.  Maybe they're not
able to "connect the dots" 1. inability to read leads to 2. Difficulty in
finding work, checking different opinions from those one hears leads to 3. A
narrower choice in decision making. 1. Accessibility to books leads to 2.
more books available to a wider population of readers which leads to 3.
dissemination of knowledge, entertainment, etc. which leads to 4. More
people reading which leads to 5. people borrowing books which leads to 6.
people buying books which leads to 7. profits to booksellers which adds to
the economy, general satisfaction for book lovers everywhere. Maybe I
haven't mentioned some things that should be in the list, but thought I'd
write it down such as it is. You've probably used this argument for why
people should support and get involved with Bookshare. I think it's rotten
you're encountering recalcitrant teachers. I'm also glad your librarian is a
mensch (translation: mensch is a Yiddish word for all-around human being.)
Regards, Kim.

  _____