[bksvol-discuss] Some old books requested

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:59:33 -0700 (PDT)

I've added the Sue Barton, student nurse, and Cherry Ames, student nurse,
series to the Wish list at the request of a member. She also wants some books
she read when younger by Mary Stewart before she became famous with her Merlin
books, and she (Liz Halperin)is willing to validate them if anyone can find and
scan them.

Below is part of Liz' note to me and the list of Mary Stewart and Liz's
comments about them. They sound like fun reading. I'd enjoy validating the
 myself if they needed sight and I'd finished with everything in my pile and
promised.

--- On Sun, 9/28/08, Liz Halperin <lizzers2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"[These are books] Mom and I read in when I was in high school, copyright dates
in 50s and 60s.... We had whole paperback collection back then. Read and
reread, good comfort reading when sick etc. The young women
were so sophisticated, out internationally on their own, mystery and romance
intertwined (with lots of cigarettes), and even though they were always rescued
in the end by the men, I  loved them.  Mom and I also did feminist analysis on
them, haha!

I'd LOVE to see these available, and would love to volunteer validate them
if the scans are reasonably clean. The paper in the books is going to be
yellowed, so they'll need careful scanning.

(Mom really expanded my vocabulary and int'l cultural awareness through  these
books: she was on a constant mission to get my English expanded to
 make up for hearing loss.)