[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some Newbie Questions

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:26:14 -0800

I echo Jana's welcome to you,and she gave you good answers. The statement
that scanners shouldn't proofread their books meant, as Jana said, that a
second person should be the proofreader. Scanners are, in fact, expected
to do a ascertainment of pre-proofing, to catch scannos do some changing of
fonts, etc., for navigation purposes, and perhaps some formatting. It is
why I, who am about to start scanning after not having done it for several
years, have been waitinu ntilI I finish proofing a book I'm working on,
because pre-proofing takes a certain amount of time which I'm not prepared
to give at teh moment. But we proofers usually read teh file carefully
and, as you wondered and Jana explained , compare the file with the print
book which we either get from library or which the scanner sometimes
snail-mails to us. The reason Boookshare wants a different person t from
teh scanner to be teh proofreader is that it's too easy for one to miss
errors -- once they've read teh book in teh scanning process it's too easy
to assume everything is correct and/or just not to see a mistake. In fact,
even as a proofreader, when I've done a final spell-check and pagination
after having read teh book carefully (I'm one of teh(I forget teh word
--obsessed?_crazy?-- proofreaders who read every word, rather than just
minimum, which is a spell check and pagination check and formatting for
navigation-- I find I've missed some things and had to correct them before
uploading the the proofed file. Mostly what I've done is get so involved
in the story that I either numbered a page twice or forgot to number a
new page.
HTH and that you enjoy working for bookshare. I' found a lot of books and
authors I'd never have found to enjoy when I scanned books that were
requested; and of course by scanning books you're interested in yourself
you not only get to make them available for others but you earn credits to
apply toward your membership (if you are a member. If not, toucan donate
them to members who may need them at some point
Cindy
Again, welcome and thanks for voounteering

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 4:47 PM, Jana Jackson <jana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, William! Welcome to the Bookshare community! Those are great
questions!

First, I almost always do a bit of correcting scannos before I submit a
book to Bookshare. I don't necessarily proofread the entire book, but I
search for certain common scannos. Since I use Kurzweil 1000, I also find
the ranked spelling feature helpful. It finds a lot of scannos sometimes.
Hopefully, the steps I take make the proofreader's job a bit easier!
<Smile> Anyway, it sounds like you have a good scan there. Correcting
scannos or removing junk characters is perfectly acceptable... Like I said,
proofreaders appreciate it a lot!

Second, proofreading is different from scanning in that it's an extra set
of eyes (or in some cases, ears or Braille-reading fingers) to check for
scannos and junk characters, as well as formatting issues. I do more
scanning than proofreading, although I haven't had much time to do either
for a while.

I'll attempt to answer one more question for you. Sometimes a proofreader
will check out the actual book from the library or see if anyone on the
list has a copy. Other times, a person may just read the book with
whatever device he or she uses most and correct as many issues as possible
that way. When you submit your book, you can put your email address in the
Comments field if you want to answer questions for the proofreader.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but I hope this helps a little. All
the best!

Jana