[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some Newbie Questions

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:09:45 -0500

You are doing well. You should do as much as you can to make proofreading a mere formality. Turn in as perfect a copy as you can. The proofreading will still not really be a formality because it is still likely that you will have missed something. Minimal scannos means as few as possible with the goal to be eliminating all of them. I think the word minimal is used because even with preproofing and then with the second proofreading some might still be missed. As for how the proofreader proofreads without a copy, they just do the best they can and if a question comes up that needs the book to be checked the proofreader is expected to contact you. That means that if it is possible you should keep the book on hand until the final copy enters the collection.

On 11/7/2015 7:28 PM, William Korn (Redacted sender willythekorn for DMARC) wrote:

I'm about halfway through scanning my first book to submit to Bookshare. I've studied such instructions as there are on the website (and even tried to link to the Sanncer FAQ, but that link seems to be dead.)

Although I understand that the scanner is not to proofread the book, I took the liberty of proofing the first 40 pages, more to see how well the scanner and the OCR software were functioning than anything else. It's functioning pretty well, I guess. I found about a dozen "scannos" (which I also took the liberty to correct). Most of them were either incorrect letters produced from two other letters, or problems with the software interpreting the "1" in a page number as an "I", others were words broken across a line in the book, but not in the resulting .RTF file (yet still including the dash)..

In the guidelines the scanner is asked to review the .RTF file for "minimal scannos", which leads to three questions:
1) How is "minimal" defined? Are the scannos I found above "minimal"?
2) Should I correct those scannos before uploading?
3) How is reviewing for scannos different than proofreading? They weren't obvious things like junk characters. I would not have found them unless I read the .RTF file.

My other major question is, how do proofers proofread the book without having the book itself in hand? This particular edition of the book was printed in 1973 (the original copyright was 1934) and is long out of print. Subsequent editions have been printed since then by other publishers.

William Korn