[bksvol-discuss] Some Newbie Questions

  • From: "William Korn" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "willythekorn" for DMARC)
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 00:28:48 +0000 (UTC)

I'm about halfway through scanning my first book to submit to Bookshare.  I've
studied such instructions as there are on the website (and even tried to link
to the Sanncer FAQ, but that link seems to be dead.)
Although I understand that the scanner is not to proofread the book, I took the
liberty of proofing the first 40 pages, more to see how well the scanner and
the OCR software were functioning than anything else.  It's functioning pretty
well, I guess.  I found about a dozen "scannos" (which I also took the liberty
to correct).  Most of them were either incorrect letters produced from two
other letters, or problems with the software interpreting the "1" in a page
number as an "I", others were words broken across a line in the book, but not
in the resulting .RTF file (yet still including the dash)..
In the guidelines the scanner is asked to review the .RTF file for "minimal
scannos", which leads to three questions:1) How is "minimal" defined?  Are the
scannos I found above "minimal"?2) Should I correct those scannos before
uploading?3) How is reviewing for scannos different than proofreading?  They
weren't obvious things like junk characters.  I would not have found them
unless I read the .RTF file.
My other major question is, how do proofers proofread the book without having
the book itself in hand?  This particular edition of the book was printed in
1973  (the original copyright was 1934) and is long out of print.  Subsequent
editions have been printed since then by other publishers.
William Korn