[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some General Requests

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:24:51 -0500

Hi Marissa,

To add to your headaches, after looking at a number of the books I've downloaded for validation lately, it seems that erroneous and missing page breaks aren't limited to TXT files. Quite a few of the RTF files are turning up with page breaks in the wrong spot. This would lead me to believe that some of the submitters are inadvertently cleaning out page breaks with the headers, and that their word processing software is plugging them in where ever it thinks they are necessary.
When you are at your next staff meeting, I think you need to bring up the necessity of having some basic instructions available for submitters and validaters. It should probably include how to handle different file types, how to set margins, paper length, and to steer people towards different software packages that are better suited to editing.
I'll probably get a slew of comments here, but I think people should be encouraged to stay far, far away from Wordpad as an editing program. Yes it's free, and all Windows systems have it, but it is terrible at dealing with page breaks.

Dave

At 11:55 AM 11/9/2004, you wrote:

Hello, good morning.

Nice to the list so fired up (maybe).