[bksvol-discuss] Re: Some Bookshare News

  • From: "Sharon" <mt281820@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:05:16 -0500

The quota system?
Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Shelley L.
Rhodes
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 8:07 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Some Bookshare News

yep, actually look at the "resources for software" of the hand out I posted.

In there are two products or actually three that are fantastic.  One is
called "read Please" and is a free text to speech engine, that is designed
for people who use a mouse, the LD population.  It is simple to use, and
free.  For the cheaper version and only about $90 for the nicer version.

I also highlight Text aloud and Text to Audio, and how a file can be ran
through them, then put on a Zen Stone, which costs $43 which is down right
cheap, for most schools and budgets.  Smile.  One thing I did do, was
demonstrate how you could quickly and painlessly run a MP3 file off of
Kurzweil 1000 or Kurzweil 3000 and then copy that to the Zen Stone.

We also highlight Wintrans.

So... we explain how they can access the website with different tools.

If it is blind students, remind them that the Book Port and the Braille+ are
available free to legally blind students via the Quota system.

And that there is always help if they need it.  Smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide
juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Alumni Association Board
www.guidedogs.com

More than Any other time, When I hold a beloved book in my hand, my
- Helen Keller