[bksvol-discuss] Re: Soft page breaks

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:37:05 -0700

Hi Roger,

A hard page break is the symbol that you have been encountering that no
matter what, will force a new page.

A soft page break is inserted by the word processing program when it thinks
the text on the given page will have to overflow onto another page if the
file is printed.  Marilyn gave some good examples of how to eliminate soft
page breaks a couple of messages ago.

Soft page breaks are a pain because they confuse us as validators, making
the page count off from what it would be if only hard page breaks were
present in a file, which is as it should be.  The soft page breaks will
disappear once a book is uploaded to bookshare if you don't remove them.
They're just a serious mind bending experience, if you're trying to keep
count of the number of page breaks in a book, to make sure that it matches
the number of pages that are supposed to be there.  Imagine this:  The book
you are working on has 250 pages, actual pages.  But, some pages have a lot
more text on them than others, say maybe 80 pages are this way.  So, those
80 pages might be considered to have too much text for one page by your word
processing software, and it inserts a soft page break in the middle of the
page somewhere so that if the file were printed the print would all fit on
one page.  If you increase the paper size in the menus you can fool the
software into not inserting soft page breaks and keep your page count actual
instead of having 80 extra pages in the file that occur randomly.

Did any of that make sense?  In short, soft page breaks are inserted by the
word processing software that one is using when  it thinks there is too much
text to be printed on one piece of paper given the size of paper the
software has been told it will be using.  If you tell it that you're using
really really big paper, then it won't break up your pages.

Okay, shutting up now, in case I've just muddied the water really badly
instead of  helping.

Mayrie