[bksvol-discuss] Re: Smart Quotes

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 21:22:12 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I've finally finished gong through all 99 of pieces of mail, and unless I
missed something, no one seems to have answered your questions, so I'll try.

1. Yes, "smart quotes" are printed in the book. They are the quotation marks
(this should answer your question, too, Amy, smile) that curve. Straight quotes
are two straight lines, together. I don't remember what typewriter keyboards
have, but computer keyboards have straight quotes. In my Word, under Tools
file, in Autocorrect, in Autocorrect as you type, one can check "replace
"straight quotes" with "smart quotes." I wish it had the opposite, but it
doesn't, but it doesn't. One problem with smart quotes that I've seen in books
I've validated is that they all seem to turn in the same direction; they are
supposed to curve in toward the sentence, but so the ones preceding the
sentence should curve to the reader's right and the ones at the end should
curve to the reader's left--but they all curve to the left. For a while I'd
change them individually, but I finally gave up and now just globally replace
them with straight quotes. I do this by copying and
 pasting one set in the replace space and replace with the quotation marks on
the keyboard and then do the same with the other set. Voila! Problem solved.

2. I guess it depends on the scanner. My scanner or OCR converted the smart
quotes in the pages of Crystal Rose that I did for Tracy into straight quotes,
but as I said, I've validated books that had all smart quotes and I had to
change them.

3. Probably not. It's probably the OCR. I don't think I've ever seen a print
book with straight quotes instead of smart quotes, but it's possible that as
more books are "printed" electronically rather than by print that will occur.

4. I can't answer that one. smile

5. Read the last sentence of my answer to number one.

6. Are you asking as a submitter or validator? In either case, if you've
eliminated them, the answer is no. If you've left them as a submitter, you
might want to put that in the comments to make the validator aware of the
change that we now know needs to be made. Who knew before? Certainly not I, and
I've been validating for--I wish I knew how many years--5, perhaps? The only
reason I changed them was because they were pointed the wrong way.

7. I would say the member reader.

G.Cindy