[bksvol-discuss] Smart Quotes

  • From: "NANCY M HILL" <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:50:16 -0400

So, how to handle smart quotes.  A few questions:

Where do Smart Quotes come from?

1. Are they in the printed copy of the book?
2. Does scanning transform plain quotes into 'smart' quotes? Are they caused bby one specific scanning tool such as Open Book, K-1000, OmniPage, etc?

3. Are smart quotes only found if the book is proofed using MSWord? Perhaps 2007 version?

4.Will smart quotes appear when changing document formats such as KES to RTF?

5. How many ways can we proof for smart quotes before submitting books for validation?

6. If we proof for smart quotes and there are none of those buggers in our submitted copy of the book, do we need to add a statement to our upload stating that?

7. If smart quotes subsequently appear out of the ether, who is responsible for their eradication?

Since the 'smart' quote seems to be a new speces of scanning/validating vermin, how quickly can we come up with preventative measures to do as much as possible to enhance their extinction?

I really need to know so I can check out my first scan for those creatures.

Let's get on the offensive.

I'll be waiting for instructions.

I also note that their has been a detailed account of how to rid them from word.

Nancy

girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx