[bksvol-discuss] Slight change in my procedure re bestsellers

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Vol Group <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:46:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi gang,

I now have the ability to add, modify and delete entries in the special
collections. I can't add or delete collections, but at least I can change the
entries. When I add an entry, it requires me to put in the book's ID number,
which means I can't put in dummy placeholders for books that will be coming in;
I can only add books that are currently in the collection. Engineering has put
in some dummy placeholders in various special collections, but I don't have
that ability.

What this means is that I'm going to be putting in the New York Times
bestsellers in a piecemeal fashion. In the past, I'd put in all of the books
for a month, and just make placeholders for the books not live yet. I can't do
that, so I have two choices: either I wait until all of the books are live, or
I put them in as the books become live. The first option is not reasonable,
since some books take quite a while. For example, there's still 1 book
outstanding in the February bestseller collection and 3 from April.

I just put in 17 bestsellers for May, but there are another 21 bestsellers for
May that aren't done yet. I'll put them into the bestsellers special
collection, as they are approved.I'd like to put in dummy placeholders, but
given that I can't, I think that this is the best alternative.

Thanks for your understanding, Carrie