[bksvol-discuss] Re: Simon & Schuster

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 17:01:54 -0900

Why is that exactly?  I'm thinking more in terms of books like The
Riverside Shakespeare (because I have that book).  Looking at the
copyright statute as linked to by bookshare it seems bookshare is
limited to "non dramatic literary works".  However the only additional
material in the book consists of a vast number of footnotes, as well
as hihistorical material about the period and production.

The restriction on teacher's editions of textbooks makes somewhat more sense.

Care to explain?

On 1/25/10, Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Plays can be put into the collection if 1) they are out of copyright (like
> Shakespeare), or 2) the publisher has given us written permission to put
> their specified plays in. Random House gave us permission to put some of
> their plays in, which we have done. Simon&Schuster has now given us
> permission to put some of their plays in too. Wahoo! I believe that S&S will
> be sending us their plays in digital format, so I'm hoping that the plays
> will be in sooner rather than later.
>
> The one zinger that sometimes confuses people is when a copyrighted book is
> published that contains an out-of-copyright play and additional material
> (like notes, translations, etc.) Because the entire book is either
> copyrighted or not, the additional material makes the book copyrighted,
> which means we can't put the book in. There are a lot of Shakespeare's plays
> with the play on one page and its translation on the other. I'd love to put
> those books in, but I can't, because the translation is copyrighted even
> though the play isn't.
>
> Hope this explains the policy! Carrie

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx