[bksvol-discuss] Re: Simon & Schuster

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:30:35 -0800 (PST)

Plays can be put into the collection if 1) they are out of copyright (like
Shakespeare), or 2) the publisher has given us written permission to put their
specified plays in. Random House gave us permission to put some of their plays
in, which we have done. Simon&Schuster has now given us permission to put some
of their plays in too. Wahoo! I believe that S&S will be sending us their plays
in digital format, so I'm hoping that the plays will be in sooner rather than
later.

The one zinger that sometimes confuses people is when a copyrighted book is
published that contains an out-of-copyright play and additional material (like
notes, translations, etc.) Because the entire book is either copyrighted or
not, the additional material makes the book copyrighted, which means we can't
put the book in. There are a lot of Shakespeare's plays with the play on one
page and its translation on the other. I'd love to put those books in, but I
can't, because the translation is copyrighted even though the play isn't.

Hope this explains the policy! Carrie